Thursday, May 20, 2010

Another Tony Pena Jr., update and a short e(e)rie story

Another update you didn't know you wanted.

OK, I'll give this a rest for a while but once I found out where Tony Pena, Jr., landed I couldn't help checking. After all, it has rained all day, my Thursday night league is rained out, and my mind is just now adjusting to life without classes to teach for the summer.

TJ pitched three-and-a-third innings this afternoon for Richmond against the Erie SeaWolves. He gave up two hits, struck out seven and came away with his third victory against no losses. His ERA dropped to 1.09.

Here's an excerpt from the game story on the Richmond Squirrels' Web site:

"Tony Pena Jr. (3-0) took over for Clark in the sixth and dominated the rest of the way. He fanned seven SeaWolves over 3 1/3 innings, allowing just two singles as he earned his third win of the season. ..."


I saw the SeaWolves play in Erie a few years ago. I was in Pennsylvania to do some reporting and as usual, wanted to sneak in a minor league game. My interview was scheduled for 7 a.m. the next morning. At maybe 6:30 the night before I went to the grocery store for oranges, bread and cheese to feast on in my room. I looked in the newspaper and discovered the SeaWolves playing at home that night then I consulted the map and calculated I could make the drive in time to catch the seventh inning.

So off I went, 250 miles between me and Erie, oranges, cheese and hunks of bread in the passenger seat of the rental car. I couldn't get the game on the radio until just outside Erie about 9:30 p.m. To my surprise the game was only in the first inning, having endured a two-hour rain delay.

And it was in the eighth inning, at 2 a.m., when it dawned on me I had a three-hour drive ahead and I had left just enough time to change clothes and, blood-shot eyes and all -- make it to the interview. If memory serves, I slept like a baby on the plane home that night.

--Lofflin




No comments:

Post a Comment