Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Muscle control

I worked a 14-hour day on Monday.

It's not the first time I've done something like that, and likely won't be the last. But maybe this is a sign that I'm getting older:

I arrived at the job at 10 a.m. and I left just before midnight. By 11:15 p.m., I started losing my motor skills, one by one. First I lost the ability to draw a straight line, which was critical for the task I was completing. Byt 11:30, I was having trouble with reading and comprehension. I'd read a word or a series of numbers, and then I'd have to re-read it seven or eight times to make any sense out of it. I found walking difficult. So I overcompensated, like an experienced drinker, by slowly placing one foot in front of the other. My speech was low and slow, again overcompensating.

So I called it a day. And I very carefully drove home.

Which, in hindsight, was pretty stupid.

-- Matt Kelsey

No comments:

Post a Comment