Thursday, February 26, 2009

RIP: The Rocky Mountain News

More sad news for newspaper fans today: The Rocky Mountain News is closing its doors. Their last edition will be published tomorrow (Friday).

I can definitely sympathize with the staff. I went through something very similar earlier this year, and I can attest to how difficult and traumatic it is. But I got a couple weeks to process they layoff and “get my affairs in order,” so to speak. The Rocky Mountain News staff was informed of the decision TODAY - and their last edition will come out TOMORROW.

Wow. That’s heartless.

Denver still has a daily paper in the Denver Post. It’ll be interesting when major dailies start closing in cities with only one major daily.

Could that first city be Kansas City? Some people think so. I hope not. For all its flaws, I like the Kansas City Star, and I don’t want to see it go anywhere.

--Matt Kelsey

No comments:

Post a Comment