Sunday, August 30, 2009

Trying to stay positive for the Chiefs, Royals

Rough night (what's new?) Saturday for Kansas City sports fans. The Chiefs and Royals both lost to teams from Seattle.

But even through what's become a sad, sad trend in Kansas City, I'm trying to stay positive.

First, the Chiefs. The bad news is they're terrible again. The worse news is Matt Cassel got hurt in Saturday's game and his return is questionable.

And there ain't much good news. But for me, personally, a ray of hope. Circumstances prohibited me from seeing the Chiefs' first two preseason games this year. Tonight, I was able to watch. And even though I said some nasty things about the Chiefs a couple weeks ago on this blog, I'll say this now: seeing the guys out there in those bright red uniforms on a beautiful Arrowhead night made me feel better. It's football season. So I'm going to embrace it. I'm going to cheer for my Chiefs.

Now, the Royals. Gil Meche got rocked tonight. And the Royals are just as bad as the Chiefs (although they'll probably have a significantly higher winning percentage this year). Normally I don't root for teams to lose. In the words of Herm Edwards, "You play to win the game!" But sorry Herm, I'm hoping the Royals only win every five games - when Zack Greinke is on the mound - and lose everything else. I hope they finish with the worst record in baseball this season.

Because if they do, in next year's draft we'll be able to get this guy. And then we got ourselves a ballgame.

-- Matt Kelsey

No comments:

Post a Comment