Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Hey, Blue, are you watching the same game I am?

This post-season umpiring has been horrendous. I've seen three missed calls tonight alone in the Yankee/Angels game, and we're only in the fifth inning.

I know baseball is based on judgments; they are called umpires rather than referees or officials. But this is really bad and it is threatening the integrity of the post-season. I don't want to think this is just because we have such extraordinary camera work these days.

Revisited some images I shot during the 1978 or 1979 Yankees/Royals post-season series. Warmed my heart to see images of the White Rat, George Brett at third base, Reggie and Mookie, John Mayberry dropping a crucial pop-up and Freddie Patek hanging his head on the bench with the game over. I'll digitize them later and post them this week.

Wonder how long it will be before we see another post season game in Kauffman Stadium.

--Lofflin

No comments:

Post a Comment