I'm getting closer and closer to finishing my novel. In an earlier post, I said my target word count was 40,000 to 50,000 words. That was somewhat naïve of me, because I later found out a lot of literary agents won't even read a manuscript that's less than 70,000 words. So I set a new target of 70,000 words.
Today, I passed the seventy five thousand word mark.
I have three chapters left, too, which should add another 10,000 words or so.
After I finish my first draft, I’m going to put it in a drawer for a couple days. Maybe me and the missus will take a little road trip. Before I take a crack at the second draft, I think it would be wise to get away from these characters that have been swarming around my mind for the last six months or so.
Then it’ll be about time to see if anyone wants to publish this sucker.