Sunday, February 26, 2012

A letter to my nephew

Sunday, February 26, 2012

Dear Bryce,

You are six days old today.  I am your uncle Matt, and I am significantly older - closer to twelve thousand days old. And even though, in the perspective of twelve thousand days, you barely even exist, I am enchanted by you. I fall deeper in love with you every time I see you (which is four times so far). And I know my life will never be the same now that you're in it.

You are the son of my brother, the guy you will come to know as "Daddy," and I know this is even more special for him. But you are my first nephew, and you are my parents' first grandchild. So it is special for us too.

And since you are less than one week old, we don't know much about you. However, here is what we do know:

* You were born with dark blue eyes, which are now starting to turn brown around the pupils, and it looks like they'll be completely brown before long. Although you spend most of your time with your eyes closed, on the rare occasions you open them, you open them wide. It feels like you stare right through me. I am melted by those eyes.

(When you are old enough to ask for things, I will probably give you whatever you want when you look at me with those eyes.)

* You hate being cold. Whenever your clothing is removed to change a diaper, you cry like there's no tomorrow. Welcome to Missouri, kid. It gets even colder.

(But don't worry. If you are cold I will buy you a coat, and if you are still cold I will give you mine.)

* Your cry doesn't seem loud, but your mommy says at three o'clock in the morning, it's ear-piercing. However you don't cry very often. Most of the time you nap.

(You have already slept in my arms, but someday soon I'm sure I'll fall asleep as well, and we'll have our first nap together.)

* You have your mother's chin, and possibly your father's nose, and you somewhat resemble your great grandfather Henry.

(Eventually, you will grow into your own face and you'll look like nobody more than yourself.)

* You were late to arrive on the scene, born nearly a week after your due date. This may be a sign that you take after your aunt Jamie and you'll be fashionably late wherever you go.

(But Jamie is the person I love in this world the most, and any traits you can borrow from her will be good ones.)

* Since you're being raised by my brother, I am confident you will become the following things: A baseball fan. A space fanatic. An avid autograph collector. An above-average foosball player. And more than a bit of a nerd.

(But you will have all of the best qualities of my brother, and for that I know you will grow up to be a good man.)

That's about all we know so far. But I'll be there every step of the way, and I can't wait to discover all the other wonderful things you'll become. I love you now and I'll love you always.

Your uncle,

Matt

No comments:

Post a Comment