Friday, January 30, 2009

Who the heck is Henry Wiggen?

If you've been wondering about Henry "Author" Wiggen, who comes onto this blog now and then to comment, more now than then, visit this ESPN story.

The story reminded me of my favorite quote from The Southpaw delivered by Henry's wife, Holly. Henry has just stepped over his own ethical line, throwing a spit ball that nearly decapitates the hitter:

"It is a grand game," Holly says. "I love to see it, and I love to hear you talk about it. It is a beautiful game, clean and graceful and honest. But I will be damned if I will sit back and watch you turn into some sort of a low life halfway between a sour creature like Sad Sam Yale and a shark like [manager] Dutch Schnell."

The best way to save the planet is to buy this book and pass it around to everyone you know who can be coerced into reading it. In the meantime, it looks like Henry -- Author -- will be visiting us here, as he did below, to share his unusual wisdom.

--Lofflin

No comments:

Post a Comment