Thursday, March 5, 2009

Ha ha ha ha ha. Ha. Ha.

So I'm sitting here watching the World Baseball Classic, when I notice something laughable scrolling in the news ticker across the bottom of the screen (one of John Lofflin's favorite inventions).

As you surely know by now, Alex Rodriguez trying to avoid surgery. If he can,t he will be out for at least 10 weeks (he really should have been taking more steroids). The scroll notified me about the Yankees' possible replacements for Rodriguez at third base. Their options seem to be Cody Ransom, a 32-year-old journeyman, or a shortstop named Angel Berroa.

You heard that right. Angel Berroa, the former Royals star, and also the former Royals joke, who has played one Major League game at third base, is being considered to replace Alex Rodriguez. Angel Berroa could be the starting third baseman for the New York Friggin' Yankees.

(At the very least, it seems he's closer to securing a roster spot.)

I'm preparing myself for Berroa's unlikely success, though, because I always get furious whenever I see an ESPN anchor take a backhanded jab at the Royals when a player the Royals released goes on to have success with another team. The most prominent example I remember was when the Yankees signed Aaron Guiel after the Royals cut him. Guiel hit a couple home runs for the Yanks, and the anchors had a good chuckle over the fact that the Royals would let this amazing talent slip through their fingers.

For the record - Aaron Guiel is now a big, big baseball star. For the Tokyo Swallows.

Aaron, have your manager save a spot on the Swallows roster for a shortstop - I have a feeling Angel Berroa will be joining you soon.

--Matt Kelsey

No comments:

Post a Comment