Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Didn't see it shaking out this way...

A few interesting moves by our hometown Kansas City Royals today.

According to royals.com, Trey Hillman has decided on a five-man rotation of Gil Meche, Zack Greinke, Kyle Davies, Horacio Ramirez and Sidney Ponson. Ponson will pitch the home opener.

The two odd men out in this arrangement are Brian Bannister and Luke Hochevar.

I was pretty surprised by the decision. I'm not saying I don't like it, per se, I'm just surprised. I actually thought it would be Banny and Hochevar in and Ramirez and Ponson out (as did a lot of fans).

I'm all for giving Big Sid a chance. Lofflin might like to chime in on how he performed in the World Baseball Classic. But I don't really expect him to be in the rotation all season. (If he is, I'd say that's a huge success.)

As for as Ramirez, hopefully he'll settle down after a shaky spring. The Royals seemed to be pretty dead-set on having a lefty in the rotation, so I guess I see the logic.

The Royals also traded Ross Gload to the Marlins for that wonderful baseball phrase, "a player to be named later." This move makes sense. But I liked Gload. I don't like him as an everyday player, but he's certainly a good, versatile utility man to have on the team. And if you watch him play, you'll see he's an extremely, extremely poor man's version of Ichiro.

Hopes are high in the Kelsey house. Opening day is next week!

--Matt Kelsey

No comments:

Post a Comment